Tart, tangy, creamy and chewy, our raw Cardamom Kefir Tart with Fresh Fruit combines strained kefir with nuts, Medjool dates and fruit for a powerfully probiotic no-bake treat. Plan to start this tart the night before as you’ll need to strain the kefir overnight for best results. We promise it’s worth the effort!
- 4 cups Lifeway* Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 Tbsp honey
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 cups raw almonds
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 ½ tsp coconut oil
- A few pinches of salt
- To strain the kefir: Line a large strainer with cheesecloth or a few wet coffee filters. Put the strainer over a deep bowl and pour your bottle of whole milk kefir in the strainer. Cover and put in the fridge over night to drain. This should yield about 1 ½ cups.
- Crust: Place almonds, dates, coconut flakes, hemp seeds, sea salt, and coconut oil in a food processor. Blend until a small chunk consistency yet sticky mixture has formed. You can add a teaspoon of water if necessary.
- Press mixture into four 4-inch tart pans with a spoon or your fingers. Cover with plastic wrap and let chill in the fridge for 30 minutes to an 1 hour.
- Make the filling: Remove kefir from the strainer and place in a food processor. Add cardamom, honey, lemon juice, and salt the food processor as well. Mix until combined.
- Spoon the filling into each of the four tart pans. Place tart pans in freezer for at least 30 minutes to set.
- Take tart pans out of the freezer at least 15 minutes before serving, allowing them to thaw. Top the tarts with fresh fruit such as raspberries, blueberries, or your favorite in-season fruit.
- *Whole milk kefir (either organic or original) work best in this recipe and provide the creamiest filling. Substitute low-fat or non-fat at your discretion.