Inspired by the cosmos, these Cosmic Kefir Donuts are covered in an activated charcoal glaze with edible glitter. Using whole wheat flour and coconut sugar, this recipe is a healthier twist on the classic doughnut recipe. These wondrous treats give us the taste of the cosmos without having to travel to the stars.
- ½ cup Madagascar Vanilla Lowfat Kefir
- 1 ½ cup unbleached whole wheat flour (sifted)
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ¼ cup virgin, unrefined coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tbsp Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp activated charcoal powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Silver Sanding Sugar & Silver Jewel Dust
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda.
- In a smaller bowl, cream the sugar with the coconut oil. Add the kefir and the eggs and mix well.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir just until mixed (the batter will be thick).
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag or a large freezer bag (cut off one corner to make a piping bag). Pipe the batter into a mini doughnut pan.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Add all dry ingredients into a bowl. Mix in the kefir until you reach a smooth consistency.
- Eggs: Crack one whole egg into the wet mixture, crack the second egg and separate the whites from the yolk. This will allow you to have one whole egg and one with just whites.