Full of festive flavors and colors, this salad makes a perfect side or a light meal.
- Lifeway Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 cup water
- One bunch of Lacinato/Tuscan kale
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1½ tsp raw honey (or maple syrup)
- 1½ Tbsp raw apple cider vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp minced shallot
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts
- 1/4 cup pomegranate arils
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Rinse quinoa with running water until the water runs clear. Transfer rinsed quinoa to a sauce pan with water and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Continue to about 12-15 minutes, or until the water is gone (be careful not to overcook).
- Prep the kale by washing and drying it well. Remove the stems and finely dice or chop the kale into bite sized pieces. Place into a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- After the quinoa has cooled for five minutes (but is still hot), fluff with a fork and transfer to the bowl with the kale. Mix well and let cool completely. The heat from the quinoa “cooks” the kale, making it more palatable.
- In a small blender or food processor, blend the ingredients for the dressing. Pour dressing over kale/quinoa mixture and toss in nuts, pomegranate and dried cranberries. Top with a heaping ¼ cup of Farmer Cheese and mix with a salt and pepper to taste. Alternatively, serve salad into individual bowls and top with dollops of Farmer Cheese.