Thick, dense, chewy, and fluffy, our Kefir Irish Brown Bread is the perfect accompaniment to your St. Patrick’s Day feast!
- 1 ½ - 1 3/4 cups Lifeway Organic Organic Plain Low Fat Kefir
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour + more for dusting
- 1/3 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp butter; as cold as possible
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Using a pastry cutter or two knives, cut the butter into the flour. Alternatively, use a cheese grater and grate butter into flour mixture.
- Stir until the mixture is crumbly, then stir in whole wheat flour and rolled oats until well combined. Add 1 ½ cups of kefir and mix with a wooden spoon and floured hands until a crumbly dough is formed, adding the additional ¼ of kefir or more flour, if needed.
- Once a loose mound of dough is formed, mold into a ball in the bowl. Keeping the dough in the bowl, roll in circular motions around the side of the bowl for one to two minutes to form a more cohesive ball of dough.
- Place dough on parchment paper and press down with hands to flatten slightly. Using a blunt knife, make a cross in the top of the dough about an inch deep. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until bread is golden brown. Slice and serve.
- Be careful not to over knead the dough or the bread. When in doubt, less is more!