This pumpkin quick bread is perfect for a healthy dessert topped with frozen kefir, a quick breakfast, or afternoon snack!
- 1/2 cup (at room temperature) Lifeway Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1/2 Tbsp molasses
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs (at room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup stevia baking blend
- Pepitas for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F with a rack placed near the lower third of the space. Grease a 9 x 5 inch bread pan with non-stick cooking spray or oil. Set it aside.
- In a medium bowl, smash the bananas until it reaches a puree texture. Add eggs and whisk until well combined. Add kefir, vanilla, pumpkin, molasses and coconut oil and mix until combined.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt and spices. Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until combined (careful not to over mix – a few lumps are ok).
- Pour batter into the prepared bread pan. Sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds and additional cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice, if you’d like. Bake for 55-65 minutes. After the first 30 minutes, cover the top with foil to prevent excess browning and burning. After 55 minutes, insert a toothpick into the center of the bread to test for doneness. It should come out clean. If it doesn’t return the pan to the oven and check every five minute until the bread is completely cooked.
- Remove the pan for the oven and allow the bread to cool in the pan on a wire rack before removing. Enjoy smothered with butter, whipped cream cheese or spread of your choosing!