Just in time for Hanukkah, we’re bringing back our famous recipe for latkes, but taking it to the next level with three distinctly delicious strained kefir sauces. Variety is the spice of life, after all!
- 3-4 cups of Lifeway Natural Kefir Cup
- 3½ pounds Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- ¼ cup fresh chives, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ avocado
- Juice of 1 lemon, divided
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1-2 tsp maple syrup
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ cup cucumber, diced, seeded and squeezed to remove all extra moisture
- 1 Tbsp fresh chopped dill
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Butter or high-heat oil, for frying
- Avocado Kefir Sauce: stir together 1 cup strained kefir, avocado, ½ of the lemon juice and a pinch of kosher salt. Allow to rest for 30 minutes before tasting. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Cinnamon Maple Kefir Sauce: combine the maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg and pinch of salt. Slowly stir in 1 cup of strained kefir, tablespoon by tablespoon, until mixed well. Allow to rest for 30 minutes before tasting. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- Kefir Tzatziki Sauce: stir together the cucumber, dill, garlic powder, salt and remaining lemon juice until well combined. Stir in 1 cup of strained kefir until smooth. Allow to rest for 30 minutes before tasting. Adjust seasonings as needed.
- The Latkes: wash and dry the potatoes and peel the onion to remove the dry outer layer. Using a box grater, grate the potatoes and onion into a bowl.
- Using paper towels or an absorbent towel, transfer the grated vegetables into a fine mesh colander and press out as much extra liquid as possible.
- In a separate bowl, beat the two eggs together until foamy. Whisk in the flour and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add the onion potato mixture and stir until everything is well combined and coated.
- To fry, heat about two tablespoons of butter or oil in a heavy bottomed skillet over medium high heat until hot, but not smoking. Drop the batter in ¼ cup scoops into the hot pan and flatten with the back of a spatula.
- Serve warm with strained kefir sauce of choosing, or a combination of all three.