Servings: 6 to 8
Feed a crowd in a hurry with this healthy, filling, kefir-ized pasta dish! We’ve yet to hear someone complain about our Penne with Vegetables and Kefir Tomato Sauce – we’re sure you’ll love it, too!
- 1 cup Lifeway Plain Non Fat Kefir
- 1 lbs. gluten-free penne pasta
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/2 inch thick
- ½ large asparagus bunch, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small/medium yellow onion, diced
- 1-2 teaspoons red pepper flakes + extra for garnish
- 1 28-ounce can high-quality crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Toss the zucchini and asparagus with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Place onto a rimmed baking sheet, season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tender – about 20 minutes.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a medium/large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add the diced onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes. Add the minced garlic and red pepper and cook for one minute, careful not to burn the garlic. Add the crushed tomatoes and turn the heat down to a simmer. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until it reaches the thickness you desire. Once desired thickness is reached, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- While the sauce is simmering, cook your pasta according to directions for al dente.
- Once pasta is cooked, quickly drain and add to the pasta sauce. Stir in kefir, basil and roasted vegetables.
- Divide the dish among bowls and top with grated Parmesan cheese, basil and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Enjoy with a fresh salad and crusty French bread covered in Farmer Cheese for a vitamin and probiotic-rich meal that’s as comforting as it is easy to make. That’s it; it’s super simple! What do you think, will you give it a try? Let us know how you like it and if you customize it (we bet our Greek Style kefir would make the sauce extra creamy and indulgent).