Fresh, seasonal veggies take center stage in our Probiotic Summer Vegetable Breakfast Bake, featuring a delicious crust from Simple Mills! Packed with fiber and protein, it’s a healthy casserole that will keep you full and energized for hours.
- 1 cup Lifeway Farmer Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Lifeway Plain Low Fat Kefir
- 1 cup Simple Mills Pancake & Waffle Mix
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach, stems trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 head of broccoli florets, chopped
- 3/4 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 5 large eggs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and spray an 8-9" square baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet with 1 tsp of olive oil over medium heat until hot. Add diced onions and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add red pepper and broccoli and continue to cook until veggies are tender. When veggies are almost done, add the spinach and cook for one minute, or until the spinach has wilted. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool slightly.
- To prepare the crust, crack two eggs into a mixing bowl and whisk with kefir. Slowly add the Simple Mills Pancake & Waffle mix, stirring until combined. Transfer crust mixture to the prepared baking dish and smooth.
- In a small separate bowl, whisk the two remaining eggs with a pinch of salt and pepper. Add Farmer Cheese and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl with the vegetables and add the cheddar cheese. Mix well, then pour over the crust mixture, spreading it our evenly.
- Place in the oven uncovered and cook for 30-35 minutes, or until a the eggs and crust are set (the top should be golden brown and bubbly). Removed from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- Feel free to use any mixture of vegetables you like, such as shredded carrots, sliced zucchini, corn, cauliflower, sliced mushrooms, asparagus, leek or cooked potatoes. Other sauteed greens, such as kale or Swiss chard, also work great!