These mini Pumpkin Spice Doughnuts are lightly spiced, moist and subtly sweet. They’re great with breakfasts, as a snack or on a table for brunch. Enjoy them with a glass of cold kefir!
- 1/2 cup Lifeway Madagascar Vanilla Lowfat Kefir
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 large egg**
- 1/2 cup white sugar***
- 4 Tbsp virgin, unrefined coconut oil****
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (if not using a doughnut maker).
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground clove.
- In a smaller bowl, cream the sugar with the coconut oil. Add the kefir and the egg and mix well.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until mixed (the batter will be thick).
- Transfer the batter to a piping bag or a large freezer bag (cut off one corner to make a piping bag). Pipe the batter into a doughnut maker, or into a mini doughnut pan.
- If you're using a doughnut maker, follow the manufacturer's instructions (we cooked ours for exactly two minutes).
- If you're using a doughnut pan, bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- *Substitute up to 3/4 cup of whole-wheat flour, if you would like, or use your favorite cup-for-cup gluten-free flour blend.
- **Substitute a flax egg (1 Tbsp milled flax seed mixed with 3 Tbsp warm water) for egg, if desired.
- ***If you're looking for a less-processed white sugar, try rapadura or sucanat.
- ****We like to use coconut oil in place of butter, but butter works well here, too.
- If our Pumpkin Spice Kefir isn't in season you can use Madagascar Vanilla Lowfat Kefir