Featuring our favorite spring produce, our Rigatoni with Kefir Avocado Pesto and Spring Vegetables is full of fabulous flavor, fiber, and healthy fats.Servings: 4
- ½ cup Lifeway Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 large ripe avocado
- ½ cup fresh parsley leaves + more to serve
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves + more to serve
- 3 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese + more to serve
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 8 oz uncooked rigatoni pasta
- 4 servings of protein of choice (we like shrimp, tofu, and chicken), already cooked
- 2 cups purple kale, rinsed and shredded (any variety of kale works)
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes, sliced (see Notes)
- 1 cup crisp baby peas (if frozen, thaw first)
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- Slice the avocado and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scoop the flesh of the avocado into the base of a food processor. Add the Lifeway Plain Organic Whole Milk Kefir, cilantro, parsley, Parmesan cheese, two tablespoons of sunflower seeds, lime juice, garlic and a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Pulse or puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. For a thinner sauce, add more Lifeway Plain Organic Whole Milk Kefir. For a thicker sauce, add more avocado. Set aside until ready to serve.
- Prepare the rigatoni according to package directions. After it is finished cooking, drain into a colander and immediately return to the pan (you want the pasta to stay hot). Add the shredded kale, peas and sun-dried tomatoes to the hot pasta along with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir to incorporate and allow the kale to wilt.
- To serve, divide the pasta, kale and sun-dried tomato mixture evenly between four bowls. Top each bowl with pesto, protein of choice, sunflower seeds, cilantro, parsley, and additional Parmesan cheese, if desired. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- We used sun-dried tomatoes that weren't packed in olive oil, but feel free to use any variety of your choosing.
- Keep this recipe gluten-free by using the gluten-free rigatoni of your choice.