You can have your sweets and eat them too! Chef Seamus Mullen swaps out processed white sugar with naturally sweet dates in this Dark Chocolate Ganache Tart with Coconut-Macadamia Crust. Top it with whipped farmer cheese for a deliciously satisfying dessert.
For the Tart Shell
- ¼ cup desiccated, unsweetened coconut
- 2 TBSP melted coconut oil
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ cup macadamia nuts, finely ground
- 4 TBSP dates, pitted and pureed with 1 TBSP water
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Ganache
- 2 cups unsweetened dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 3 TBSP dates, pureed with 1 TBSP water
- 4 TBSP cocoa nibs
For the Whipped Farmer Cheese
- ¼ cup Lifeway Natural Organic Farmer Cheese Cup
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 TBSP raw honey
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup toasted macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
- Sprinkle of coarse sea salt
- 1 cup whipped farmer cheese
- For the Whipped Farmer Cheese: Add all ingredients to the bowl of a standing mixer and whip to stiff peaks.
- For the Tart: Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In a food processor, pulse together all dry ingredients until fully incorporated.
- In a small pan, melt date puree and coconut oil together over medium heat and whisk until incorporated. Drizzle this mixture into the dry ingredients a little at a time, pulsing until it becomes clumpy and can be easily worked by hand.
- Grease a 9” tart pan with a removable bottom and fluted edges with coconut oil. Roll dough into a ball, then carefully place in the tart pan and tamp down with your hand or a measuring cup until it evenly covers the bottom and up the rim of the pan.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until fully set and golden brown. Then remove and set aside to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, put chocolate in a medium size mixing bowl. Bring the coconut milk and date puree to a boil over medium-high heat and pour over the chocolate. Stir until completely melted. Sprinkle in the cocoa nibs and fold together.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the crust, then set aside to cool.
- Sprinkle with macadamia nuts and sea salt and serve with whipped farmer cheese.