When we feel like eating our kefir with a spoon, we turn to this recipe for Strained Kefir with Fresh Pear, Nuts and Seeds. It’s perfect for a light meal or hearty snack that’s full of protein, fiber and healthy fats.
- 1 32 oz bottle Lifeway Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 ripe pear, sliced*
- 1/4 cup mixed nuts and seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Ground cinnamon, to taste
- Ground nutmeg, to taste
- Honey, to taste
- Pinch of sea salt
- The night before, or up to three days in advance, line a fine mesh strainer with cheese cloth or coffee filters. Rest the strainer over a deep bowl, careful to make sure the bottom doesn't touch, and pour in the kefir.
- Cover the bowl and strainer with a lid and place in the refrigerator overnight, or for at least 8 hours, to strain. After the kefir has strained, transfer the thick cream to a container with a lid and place in the fridge until ready to use.
- Discard the liquid whey, or save for use later. You will have 2 - 2 1/2 cups of thick kefir cream.
- To prepare the pears: clean, slice and remove the core of the pear. Add to a bowl with lemon juice and toss to coat. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- To serve: add 1/2 - 3/4 cup strained kefir to a bowl or parfait glass. Top with sliced and seasoned pears, nuts and seeds. Drizzle with honey, if desired, and serve cold.
- *Feel free to use sweet or sour apples, plums, bananas or berries - whatever is in season and you have on hand!