Long, hot summer days always get us in the mood for all things bright, vibrant, and spicy – especially if they help give us that healthy glow! Meet your new favorite superfood: turmeric. Lauded for its close relative to ginger, this vibrant root is the quintessential ingredient in many Middle Eastern dishes like curry, soup, and rice. Many different cultures all across the world have used and consumed it for centuries, often as a cure for ailments. In Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine, turmeric has also been used for a variety of uses including improving digestion, relieving arthritis, increasing blood flow, and more.
Turmeric contains curcumin, which is a compound that has been found to reduce swelling and inflammation. (This could be beneficial for digestive disorders such as irritable bowel syndrome, and ulcerative colitis.) Turmeric has a low bioavailability, which means that your body metabolizes it very quickly. Experts recommend pairing it with black pepper, which contains a natural substance called piperine that helps the body absorb the curcumin more slowly.
Other Benefits of Turmeric
- May help the pain of osteoarthritis.
- Can stimulate the gallbladder to produce bile, which may aid in digestion.
- May make your skin glow when used in your beauty regiment. Many companies are now using turmeric in their skincare lines.
- May help reduce the buildup of LDL/bad cholesterol in the arteries.
- Contains powerful antioxidants that may help prevent cancers.
- May help protect the brain.
Incorporate Turmeric Into Your Diet:
The anti-inflammatory properties can also bring glow and luster to skin when used in topical mask facials. Try it at home with our recipe for our Kefir Turmeric face mask:
- 1 tsp plain kefir
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp honey