Start the week right with a stack of these light and fluffy banana rum pancakes with Plantiful and let every bite melt in your mouth. She created this Plantiful recipe for a Taste of Chicago demo at the Lifeway Foods Taste Kitchen. Our Plantiful alone has 10 grams of protein and 10 live + active cultures making this breakfast classic great for the gut!
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
What are probiotics?
The word “probiotic” itself is often translated to “beneficial for life.” It is derived from the Latin word “pro” meaning “for” and the Greek word “biotic” meaning “life.”
Breaking down the “microbiome”
The microbiome consists of microbes, or microorganisms, that live and colonize on everything from people, plants, the soil, animals, the oceans, etc. These microorganisms can affect us negatively like those nasty viruses that get you sick, but they can also be beneficial, like the probiotics found in kefir.
The human microbiome has many functions, such as helping us absorb nutrients from our food and protecting us against pathogens.
What do probiotics do?
Probiotics can help balance the microbiome by replenishing the good bacteria, which may lead to improved digestion and better immunity. With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
- 3/4 cup Plantiful Plain Plantiful
- 1 large ripe banana, ½ mashed / ½ sliced
- 1 tsp rum
- 1/2 cup organic white flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp of sea salt
- 1 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.
- Mash the banana in a bowl, and add the coconut oil and mix together. Next add the Plantiful, rum, and vanilla into the bowl and mix. Pour the ingredients into the medium bowl and whisk together. Your batter will be thick.
- Heat a large griddle or pan over medium-high heat with coconut oil spray. Drop about 1/4 cup of the batter onto the griddle. Cook until bubbles form, then flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 1-2 minutes. Repeat with all the remaining batter.
- Serve pancakes with sliced bananas and maple syrup.