Baking is one of the closest things we have to magic. From organizing your ingredients to flipping through your recipe books, it’s a ritual that creates a sacred experience when you’re making something with love. Our gluten-free Chocolate Hazelnut Kefir Muffins embrace that wholesome dedication. Using simple and nutritious ingredients like almond meal and plain skyr, creating a healthy, protein-rich treat.
It’s true that when heated, the live and active probiotic cultures in kefir or skyr die, but that doesn’t mean you don’t benefit from using kefir in place of milk. Plus, Lifeway skyr is up to 99% lactose-free, making it a suitable option for pancakes, waffles, muffins, biscuits or bread for those who are lactose sensitive.
- ½ cup Organic Natural Skyr
- 4 large eggs
- 1½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- ⅓ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a muffin tin with parchment or silicone liners.
- Combine the skyr, eggs and vanilla extract in a large blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the almond meal, cocoa powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, and salt and blend again.
- If your batter is overly thick, add a tablespoon or two of water until it is thin enough to scoop out of the blender.
- Divide the mixture amount the prepared muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with the chopped hazelnuts. Press lightly into the batter.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until the muffins have risen and are firm to the touch.