Our Vegan Butternut Squash Alfredo pasta topped with fried sage is a delicious, gluten-free option to serve as a seasonal dish. Tossed in a thick and creamy Alfredo sauce made with nutritional yeast, fall herbs, and our probiotic plain Plantiful, each comforting bite is a loving reminder to your gut that health comes first no matter what.
Your Gut Matters
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Plantiful is a vegan-friendly probiotic beverage with 10 grams of protein per serving and 10 live and active cultures. This delicious and creamy plant-based line is made with all organic ingredients and is free from dairy, gluten, and soy, to keep your gut nourished and loved!
- 2 cups of gluten free pasta
- 1 cup Plantiful Plain
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium butternut squash peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 tsp mustard powder
- 3-4 sage leaves
- Salt pasta water and boil the pasta to al dente.
- In a saucepan, melt the vegan butter over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté till golden and soft. Add the butternut squash, vegetable broth, Plantiful, mustard powder, nutritional yeast, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook 10 - 15 minutes until the butternut squash is very tender when pierced with a fork.
- Use a hand blender to blend the butternut squash mixture until it's completely smooth and creamy. If your sauce is too thick, you can add another 1/4 cup of Plantiful or veggie broth. Add the cooked pasta to the sauce and toss well to coat, top with yeast and fried sage. Add more salt and garlic powder if needed. Top with Sage and enjoy.