Did you know that kefir makes a great meat marinade? It’s true! The same properties that give our favorite drink its tart and tangy taste also make lean cuts of meat extra tender and juicy. Try it today by making our savory Kefir Pesto Marinated Chicken – it’s delicious grilled or baked!
- 1 cup Lifeway Plain Low Fat Kefir
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup + ¼ cup pesto (homemade or store bought)
- ½ Tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- In a shallow pan or large freezer bag, combine kefir, ½ cup pesto, salt and pepper. Stir or shake until well combined. Add the chicken breasts and coat with marinade. Leave in the refrigerator (covered if not in a bag) for two hours or overnight.
- Thirty to 45 minutes before you’re ready to start cooking, remove the chicken from the refrigerator (room temperature chicken cooks more evenly).
- To bake: preheat your oven to 450°F and spray an oven-save baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Place the chicken in the dish and bake for 20-22 minutes, flipping halfway, or until cooked completely. Removed from the oven and top with additional pesto. Serve immediately with your favorite roasted vegetables, salad or prepared grains.
- To grill: preheat your gill to high heat (about 550°F!) and spray with grill-save cooking spray (so the chicken doesn’t stick to the grates). Place the chicken on the grill and cook 2-3 minutes per side, or until internal temperature reaches 160°F. Slice and top with additional pesto. Serve immediately with your favorite grilled vegetables or a hearty salad!
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- If your chicken breasts are very large, consider using a meat mallet and hammering them to an even thickness. This will ensure more even, faster cooking.