Grilled Lamb Chops with Kefir Verde Sauce is an excerpt from Lifeway CEO Julie Smolyansky’s The Kefir Cookbook. This cookbook is a delicious collection of over 100 globally inspired sweet and savory recipes made with the probiotic-rich and nutrient-dense superfood kefir.
- 1 cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Maldon sea salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1¼ cups organic plain whole-milk kefir
- ½ cup chopped fresh mint
- 1½ cups fresh or bottled pomegranate juice
- 8 lamb chops
- 2 bunches green onions, whole
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tablespoon Maldon sea salt
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- FOR THE LAMB: In a bowl that is large enough to accommodate the lamb, combine the black pepper, sea salt, garlic, kefir, mint, and pomegranate juice. Add the lamb, stirring well to coat, and let it marinate in the refrigerator overnight. Take the lamb out of the refrigerator 1 hour before cooking (discard the marinade).
- Fire up your outdoor grill to very hot. Wipe the grill grates with a bit of oil and grill the lamb on high, about 5 minutes per side. Set the chops aside and let them rest for 10 minutes. (If you don’t have an outdoor grill, you can use a grill pan or cast-iron skillet.)
- FOR THE VERDE SAUCE: In a medium bowl, toss the green onions with the olive oil and sea salt and cook on the grill until blackened. Set aside to cool. In a blender, combine the blackened green onions, garlic, parsley, and kefir and puree until smooth.
- TO PLATE: Serve the lamb family-style on a large platter, with the verde on the sid