Snack on these Peanut Butter Protein Bars during the day for a protein boost or immediately following a workout for muscle recovery. Peanut butter has monounsaturated fats, which are healthy fats that may improve heart health. It’s also a great source of protein, which is essential for building and repairing healthy muscles. To make these bars, mix peanut butter, kefir, honey, vanilla extract, rolled oats, almond meal, chia seeds, and protein powder in a food blender. Then spread the mix on a pan and cool for 2-4 hours in the fridge. Once cooled, cut the spread into bars and dip each bar into white chocolate. Pro tip: Store these bars in a secret hiding spot because once the kids discover them, they’ll be gone in a flash!
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.Servings: 12-20
- 1 cup natural drippy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp Organic Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 2/3 cup protein powder of choice*
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup white melting chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Mix together all ingredients (except white chocolate and coconut oil) in a food processor or hand blend.
- Spread mix from step 1 in a 9x13 pan (depending on how thick you want your bars) and freeze for about 2-4 hours.
- Melt down the white melting chocolate with coconut oil. Take off pan as soon as it thickens.
- Take out the refrigerated mix and cut into bars. Dip each bar into white chocolate and refrigerate to harden on the bars.
- Once bars have hardened (2-4 hours), enjoy!