Servings: 6 to 8
A decadent, spicy chocolate kefir treat that’s perfectly spooky for Halloween – or any time!
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate (at least 75% cocoa)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp fine flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Lifeway Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 - 9" pie shell (or 5-6 - 4" tart shells)
- Begin by letting all of the ingredients come to room temperature and preheating an oven to 325° F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, kefir and vanilla. In a separate bowl, mix cayenne, chili powder, cinnamon salt, sugar and flour. Add to the egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Over a double boiler, warm the chocolate chips until they are melted, careful not to let them burn.
- Once the chocolate is melted, very slowly whisk the melted chocolate into the egg and spice mixture (we suggest starting by pouring roughly ¼ cup of the chocolate in and stirring vigorously to warm up the egg mixture. If the egg mixture isn’t tempered properly, the eggs will scramble and you’ll need to start over).
- Once all of the chocolate has been mixed in, pour the batter into your prepared pie crust. Bake at for about 30 minutes, or until the custard jiggles. Be careful not to crack the top (though it’s fine if you do). Serve warm or cold and top whipped cream!
- Tip: If the chocolate mixture "curdles" or clumps when added to the egg mixture, the egg mixture was too cold. To fix this, place the mixing bowl with the egg mixture into a bath of warm water and whisk until all ingredients come together.