Yearning for some succulent southern flavors? Look no farther. One bite of our Cajun Kefir Shrimp Toast and your tastebuds will rage with flavor. Spread a thick serving of our probiotic farmer cheese on golden brown toast, then layer on marinated shrimp, grated parmesan, and fresh parsley leaves. Shrimp gives this seafood snack protein, antioxidants, and fatty acids.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
- 8 oz medium shrimp (peeled)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1/4 cup Farmer Cheese
- 2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1 French baguette (cut into 1/3-inch slices)
- 2 tbsp Cajun seasoning
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley leaves (chopped)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Cook shrimp in 3 tbsp of butter and garlic on medium
- While shrimp are cooking, cut apart French baguette into thin slices and toast until golden brown.
- Whisk together smoked paprika, salt, pepper, onion powder, cajun seasoning, thyme, and oregano. Once the shrimp are cooked, toss it in the mixture.
- Mix together Farmer Cheese, and salt/pepper to taste. Layer over toasted baguette.
- Place cooked shrimp over top of the Farmer Cheese and top with grated Parmesan and fresh parsley leaves.