This Toast Tuesday we were inspired by our chai tea latte obsession and made Crunchy Chai French Toast. Dunk a thick slice of challah bread in chai-infused kefir and then coat with cornflakes for a flavorful crunch. For extra decadence, dust on a layer of powdered sugar and pour rich maple syrup on top.
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular.
Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
How to Eat More Prebiotics:
To optimize the environment for probiotics, it’s recommended to consume an accompanying prebiotic. Synbiotics are foods or supplements that contain both prebiotics and probiotics. Don’t let the name intimidate you, it’s very simple. If you’re making kefir smoothies (a source of probiotics) or pouring it over granola and fruit (source of probiotics), you’re eating a synbiotic meal.
Foods that contain prebiotics include fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Simply pair them with probiotic-rich foods like kimchi, miso, tempeh, or kefir.
- 1/2 cup Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 1/2 cups cornflakes
- 1/2 tsp chai spice mix
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 slices challah bread
- 2 eggs
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- Whisk together the chai spice mix, vanilla extract, salt, whole milk kefir, and eggs. In another bowl place crushed corn flakes.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and begin to melt your better.
- Take your bread of choice and begin to dunk the toast in the egg/kefir mixture, then into the crushed corn flakes till fully coasted.
- Quickly place the coated bread into the hot pan and cook on both sides till golden brown.
- Repeat the steps for the rest of the slices. Top with maple syrup, powdered, and berries. Enjoy!