Lay low and take it slow with a Chocolate Hemp Smoothie. Over a layer of raspberry puree, pour a blend of banana, dates, unsweetened cocoa powder, sunflower butter, hemp hearts, and our probiotic chocolate truffle kefir. Adding in hemp gives this smoothie protein, omega-3 fatty acids, and fiber, as well as vitamins and minerals that serve as antioxidants. After a few sips, you’ll achieve chill vibes in no time.
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. That makes kefir a great wellbeing tool because it contains 12 live and probiotic cultures. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.
- 1 3/4 cups Chocolate Truffle Lowfat Kefir
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 3 dates
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp hemp hearts
- 1 tbsp sunflower butter
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 5 ice cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
- Add all ingredients (besides raspberries) to the pitcher of a high-powered blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Mash the raspberries in the bottle of your glass before pouring your smoothie over it. Enjoy with a spoon or straw!