Aime tes tripes (love your guts) this Toast Tuesday by making our French Onion Toast, a creative take on a comforting soup from #France. With caramelized onions, tangy Farmer Cheese, and crunchy bread, every bite is bold in flavor.
The probiotics in kefir may help support a healthy gut, where 70-80 percent of the cells that make up the immune system are located. Probiotics are “good” bacteria. They are live microorganisms similar to the ones already living in your gut and may offer health benefits when consumed in adequate amounts. The word “probiotic” itself is often translated to “beneficial for life.” It is a derived from the Latin word “pro” meaning “for” and the Greek word “biotic” meaning “life.”
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome. Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
- olive oil, as needed
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 large onions, thinly sliced
- 2 large sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- salt & black pepper
- 2 tbsp sherry wine
- 1/2 cup mushroom or beef stock
- 2-4 slices of toasted bread, sourdough or pumpernickel
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Coat the bottom with olive oil. Add the butter and let melt. Add the onions, thyme, and bay leaves. Season with salt and black pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Lower the heat to medium-low and continue to cook the onions until soft and golden, about 45 minutes, stirring often. Add the sherry wine and stock. Turn the heat up to medium and cook for about 6-8 minutes longer, or until the liquid has reduced. Turn off the heat and let the onions cool slightly.
- Once onions are done cooking, set aside to cool slightly.
- Top toasted bread with a hearty slather of farmer cheese and then add the cooking onions. Sprinkle with more fresh thyme and enjoy!