We have quickly discovered that mango and ginger go together like two peas in a pod, which is why we made a Gingery Mango Smoothie. Blend strawberries, lime juice, chopped mango, fresh ginger, and a pinch of cayenne pepper with our brand-new blood orange organic whole milk kefir – find a bottle (and a bunch of other delicious new flavors) at your local Whole Foods! Top your smoothie with fresh berries, a slice of lime, and a sprinkling of coconut flakes. Make sure to blend one for your dancing partner, too.
Benefits, Uses, and Interesting Facts about Ginger
- It contains strong anti-inflammatory properties that have been shown to reduce swelling in joints.
- Has been used to treat bloating, gas, and other intestinal and digestive ailments.
- Helps soothe the stomach and alleviate nausea.
- Detoxifies the body by being high in antioxidants (higher than many berries). Ginger can help eliminate free radicals, which assists your liver with its detoxing responsibilities.
- As an essential oil, ginger may help alleviate nausea and vomiting in post-op abdominal surgery patients.
Your Gut Matters
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. That makes kefir a great wellbeing tool because it contains 12 live and probiotic cultures. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.
- 2 1/4 cups frozen chopped mango
- 1 1/4 cups frozen strawberries
- 1-2 cups Blood Orange Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 medium lime, juiced
- 2 Tbsp fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Add all ingredients to the pitcher of a high-powered blender. Blend on high until smooth.
- Top with fresh berries, lime, and coconut flakes.