Magic Mushroom Frittata is an excerpt from Lifeway CEO Julie Smolyansky’s The Kefir Cookbook. This cookbook is a delicious collection of over 100 globally inspired sweet and savory recipes made with the probiotic-rich and nutrient-dense superfood kefir.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
- Maldon sea salt
- ½ cup firmly packed lacinato (Tuscan) kale, plus a few extra leaves for garnish (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup sliced red onion
- 6 large brown eggs
- crumbled Natural Farmer Cheese Cup
- ¾ cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- FOR THE SHIITAKES: In a medium sauté pan, heat ½ cup of the olive oil over medium-high heat until slightly shimmering. Add the shiitake slices, spreading them evenly around the pan. Now leave those mushrooms alone! Do not touch them until that sizzling sound quiets down; this will help them develop a beautiful golden brown caramelization on one side. Once that happens, give the pan a stir with a wooden spoon, loosening all the mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes more and season with a pinch of sea salt. (Do not salt until the end, as salting draws out moisture in the pan and prevents caramelization.) Remove the mushrooms from the pan and set aside in a bowl or plate to cool.
- FOR THE KALE: Trim the kale off of its stem and cut into thin strips. In a medium sauté pan, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and red onion. When the garlic is slightly browned, add the kale and sauté until soft, 3 to 4 minutes. (Add a small amount of water if the kale begins to stick or turn too brown.) Season with a pinch of sea salt and set aside with the mushrooms.
- FOR THE FRITTATA: Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place a large shallow nonstick oven-proof dish in the oven. In a bowl, whip the eggs with a whisk until fully beaten and slightly fluffy. Stir in the kefir, ½ cup of the olive oil, the farmer cheese, cooked mushrooms, sautéed kale, chopped herbs, and 2 pinches of salt. Pour the entire mixture into the heated ovenproof dish, and bake until slightly browned on top and a knife stuck in the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes. (If opting for the kale garnish, add the leaves after 15 minutes of cooking.)