Not even remotely French, this creamy, luscious French Onion Dip features delicately caramelized onions, strained kefir and fresh herbs. You’ll never go back to boxed mixes again!
- 4 cups plain Lifeway Organic Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 4 cups yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1-2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-2 Tbsp Olive Oil, for sautéing
- Fresh thyme, to garnish
- 1 fine mesh strainer
- Coffee filters or cheese cloth
- The night before, you plan to make your dip, prepare the strained kefir. Line a mesh strainer with a large coffee filter or a few layers of cheesecloth. Rest the strainer in a bowl, leaving 1 ½ - 2” of space between the bottom of the strainer and the bottom of the bowl. Pour the kefir on top of the filter/cloth, cover the top with plastic wrap and place into your fridge to strain.
- In the morning, you will have a thick kefir cream remaining in the strainer, while the whey is in the bowl. Discard the whey or put it in your fridge for use at a later time.
- To make the caramelized onions, heat a sauté pan on medium heat with about a tablespoon or oil, or non-stick cooking spray. Add the onions and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions turn a deep, golden brown color (you might need to add more oil or water if the onions dry out/stick to the pan), 12-16 minutes.
- When the onions are done to your liking, add the garlic and stir. Turn off the heat and add the Worcestershire sauce. Cool until safe to touch.
- In a large bowl, combine the strained kefir and the onions. Add thyme to your taste (stems removed) as well as a fresh cracked pepper. Add additional salt, Worcestershire sauce, pepper or thyme to your taste.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Enjoy with crackers, chips or chopped veggies to your taste (celery is especially good).
- The top of this dip may turn brown in the fridge if not eaten within a few hours of making it. To prevent this, place plastic wrap on the surface of the dip when storing. Consume within one week.
- While we recommend whole milk kefir for flavor and texture, feel free to substitute with low-fat or non-fat. (The texture will be more runny.)