Banana, blueberries, beets, oh my! Our anti-inflammatory smoothie uses Ayurvedic food wisdom to target your digestive system with a vibrant blend of kefir, beets, banana, and blueberries rich in probiotics and antioxidants.
- Beets: contain pigments called betalains, which may potentially possess a number of anti-inflammatory properties
- Blueberries: berries contain antioxidants called anthocyanins. These compounds have anti-inflammatory effects that may reduce your risk of disease
- Kefir: probiotics can help reduce inflammation in the body and digestive tract.
- Banana: Bananas are recommended to treat inflammatory bowel disease. They’re good sources of soluble fiber, which is fermented by bacteria in your large intestine.
Your Gut Matters
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. That makes kefir a great wellbeing tool because it contains 12 live and probiotic cultures. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.Servings: 1 - 2
- 1 cup Blueberry Lowfat Kefir
- 1/2 banana frozen
- 1/2 cup beets grated beets or chopped
- 3/4 cup blueberries, frozen
- 1/2 tsp organic honey
- Place all ingredients into a high-powered blender. Blend on high until smooth, or until desired consistency is reached.