Avocado toast game = still strong as ever. Take it up a notch with our elote avocado toast. Inspired by the savory flavors of Mexican street corn, this recipe is sure to spice up your weekly meal routine.
The Good Kind of Fats
Half an avocado has around 115 calories and 6.7 grams of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, which are crucial for brain development, linked to lower blood pressure, and may reduce risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Vitamin C (6mg) – which supports immunity and tissue growth/repair
- Folate (60mg) – necessary for brain, nervous system and cardiovascular functions
- Vitamin K (14 mg) – essential for strong bones and blood clotting
- Vitamin E (1.3 mg) – an antioxidant that protects against free radical tissue damage (free radicals from cigarette smoke, air pollution, and ultraviolet light from the sun).
- Potassium (345 mg) – avocados contain more potassium than bananas. Potassium is linked to healthy blood pressure levels, bone health, and supports digestion.
- Fiber – half an avocado contains almost five grams of dietary fiber. This fiber not only helps you feel fuller longer (meaning less snacking throughout the day), but it also supports and helps regulate digestion. A win-win!
- Lutein and zeaxanthin – may help maintain healthy eye-sight.
Eat and Feel Well
Aside from being nutritionally dense, avocados are versatile and easy to use. They’re also a great substitute for butter or oil when baking; just decrease your oven temp by 25 degrees. They add volume to our favorite kefir smoothies, make dips creamy and rich, and can be used to replace mayo or cream cheese on your favorite sandwich or bagel. They’re nothing short of delicious, so grab some while they’re in season – you won’t regret it!
- 2 pieces of bread
- 1 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 freshly squeeze lime juice
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons Farmer Cheese
- 1 ear corn, charred or frozen fire roasted corn
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- Toast the pieces of bread until the bread is just golden brown.
- Place the avocado into a medium bowl and mash it with a fork and a squeeze of the fresh lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Spread mashed avocado over the toasted bread, followed by the crumbled farmer cheese, charred corn and chopped chives.