This Grilled Avocado Toast is a foodie love story between an avocado toast and a cast iron grill pan. This #ToastTuesday recipe is a one-pan wonder. First, we grilled the bread, avocado slices, cherry tomatoes, and basil leaves. Then, we layered it all together and topped with our creamy Farmer Cheese and a balsamic glaze. Mouthwatering yet? Give this toast a try!
The Good Kind of Fats
Half an avocado has around 115 calories and 6.7 grams of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, which are crucial for brain development, linked to lower blood pressure, and may reduce risk of heart disease and stroke.
Avocados are also full of nearly twenty essential vitamins and minerals, including (per half avocado):
- Vitamin C (6mg) – which supports immunity and tissue growth/repair
- Folate (60mg) – necessary for brain, nervous system and cardiovascular functions
- Vitamin K (14 mg) – essential for strong bones and blood clotting
- Vitamin E (1.3 mg) – an antioxidant that protects against free radical tissue damage (free radicals from cigarette smoke, air pollution, and ultraviolet light from the sun).
- Potassium (345 mg) – avocados contain more potassium than bananas. Potassium is linked to healthy blood pressure levels, bone health, and supports digestion.
- Fiber – half an avocado contains almost five grams of dietary fiber. This fiber not only helps you feel fuller longer (meaning less snacking throughout the day), but it also supports and helps regulate digestion. A win-win!
- Lutein and zeaxanthin – may help maintain healthy eye-sight.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.Servings: 6
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 1 tbsp basil, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1/4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 6 pieces thick-sliced sourdough loaf
- Mix together olive oil, garlic clove, salt and set aside.
- Cut avocado into thin slices, cut cherry tomatoes in half, and roughly chop basil. Drizzle with olive oil mixture and cook on a cast iron grill pan. Grill until marks appear.
- Cut sourdough bread into small slices, brush with leftover olive oil mixture and put into the oven until toasted slightly brown.
- Top the toasted bread with grilled avocado/tomato/basil and scoop out Farmer cheese balls to layer.
- Finish with a drizzle of the balsamic glaze.