Can you pass the bread please? 🍞 That is something you are going to hear a lot of at the Thanksgiving table when everyone sees the Herbed Cheese Irish Loaf you’ve made! With 7 ingredients, including our plain kefir, the texture of this recipe is moist and fluffy. Prep the night before Thanksgiving and pop it in the oven the day of and allow the aromas of this savory loaf fill you home.
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular.
Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
How to Eat More Prebiotics:
To optimize the environment for probiotics, it’s recommended to consume an accompanying prebiotic. Synbiotics are foods or supplements that contain both prebiotics and probiotics. Don’t let the name intimidate you, it’s very simple. If you’re making kefir smoothies (a source of probiotics) or pouring it over granola and fruit (source of probiotics), you’re eating a synbiotic meal.
Foods that contain prebiotics include fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Simply pair them with probiotic-rich foods like kimchi, miso, tempeh, or kefir.
- 1/2 cup chopped herbs, fresh (parsley, chives, and thyme)
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 cups flour all-purpose
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cast iron pan with baking/parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.
- Start to whisk an egg into the kefir and pour it into the dry ingredients.
- Mix the dough until it just starts to come together then add the cheese and fresh herbs.
- Continue mixing until the dough just comes together. The dough will be sticky and not too smooth.
- Transfer to the cast iron pan then score an X onto the top with a knife. Cover with the lid and place in the preheated oven.
- Bake for 30-45 minutes or until the bread is cooked through and golden brown on top. Skewers inserted will come out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing and serving with kefir butter.