Fresh rhubarb is the perfect complement to our tangy kefir in this delicious brunch cake. Head will turn and mouths will water with one bite of your famous Kefir Rhubarb Coffee Cake.Servings: 8
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted + more for dish
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, plus more for dish
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- For the cake: 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ cup Lifeway Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 2 cups fresh rhubarb, sliced into ½ inch pieces
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Butter/grease a 9-inch round baking dish, dust with flour, and tap to remove excess flour.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the topping ingredients: butter, flour, sugars, salt, and cinnamon. Set topping aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until it is pale and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla.
- Working in alternating batches, add flour mixture and kefir, beginning and ending with flour. Beat until just combined.
- Pour into prepared dish, and smooth with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Dot top with rhubarb pieces, and sprinkle with crumb topping.
- Bake until golden and a tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Let cool before cutting.