This Roasted Root Vegetable Flatbread with Strained Kefir is our go-to choice for when we’re craving pizza, but don’t want to over do it. It’s topped with all of our favorite fall vegetables, and our creamy strained kefir. Best of all, thanks to the fabulous allergy-friendly almond flour crust from Simple Mills, the whole family can enjoy it!
- 4 cups* Lifeway Organic Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 box Simple Mills Dough Mix, prepared according to package directions
- 1 medium beet
- 1 large parsnip
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp fresh minced thyme + more for garnish
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil + more as needed to roast vegetables
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- Balsamic reduction, optional
- The night before: line a fine mesh sieve or colander with cheese cloth, a thin paper towel or coffee filters. Suspend the sieve in a large bowl so that the bottom does not touch and slowly pour in the kefir.
- Cover with a lid and place in the refrigerator over night to strain. In the morning, you will have roughly 1 cup of kefir cream separated from the liquid whey. Scoop the cream out of the sieve and place in a bowl to use with the flatbread. Store the whey in an airtight container in your refrigerator for up to a week.
- For the flatbread: Preheat your over to 400°F. Combine Simple Mills Almond Flour Pizza Crust mix with apple cider vinegar, water and 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well.**
- Chop the beet, parsnip and sweet potato into ¼” cubes (no need to peel) and thinly slice the onion. Place beet, parsnip, sweet potato cubes and onion slices into a bowl and drizzle with oil, a pinch of salt, pepper and fresh thyme. Pour onto a greased or lined baking sheet, place in the oven and roast for 23-25 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F. Divide the Simple Mills Pizza Crust mix in half and shape into two balls. Lightly oil a baking sheet or pizza stone and spread one crust dough ball out into desired shape. Cook for five minutes, then remove from oven and top with roasted vegetables, additional thyme, salt and pepper. Return to the oven to finish cooking, 5-10 minutes. Remove from the oven.
- Repeat with second dough ball if desired, or top with a drizzle of balsamic reduction and strained kefir before serving immediately!
- *Four cups, or 32 ounces of kefir will make roughly 1 cup of strained kefir. Adjust the volume of kefir you used to meet your strained kefir needs.
- **Replace the water in the Simple Mills Almond Flour Crust Mix with kefir, if desired.