Kefirized desserts are our favorites, and this lightened up Lemon Kefir Pound Cake is no exception! Moist and sweet, it’s “melt in your mouth” good.
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup Lifeway Greek Style Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 ̊ F. Grease an 8 ½-inch loaf pan with butter or baking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a larger separate bowl, beat together kefir, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla.
- Slowly pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir to combine. Mix in canola oil until combined.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. (You may want to remove from oven after 50 minutes as the cake will continue to cook as it cools.)
- While the cake bakes, make the glaze. Combine the lemon and sugar in a small pan. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently, until the sugar has dissolved.
- Set aside. Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes after you remove it from the oven.
- Remove from loaf pan and place on a plate or cutting board. Let the cake cool completely.
- Once the cake has cooled, use a toothpick to poke several holes all around the top of the cake.
- Brush the lemon-sugar mixture on the warm cake. You don’t have to use all of the mixture.