Deliciosa! Tasting these homemade Torrijas will put a sonrisa on your face. Give brunch some flair with this Spanish-style French toast. We updated the recipe with our all-natural plain kefir. Soak both sides of each baguette slice in a mixture of lemon juice, cinnamon, vanilla, and kefir. Once each slice is fully soaked, dip into a bowl of flour and then in a separate bowl of stirred eggs. Prep to cook by layering a pan with olive oil and put on medium/high heat. Place the toast in the pan and fry until it’s a beautiful golden brown, then flip to the other side. For the final step, dip each slice into a mixture of cinnamon and sugar. This toast is traditionally served with milk, wine, or honey. It’s a sweet treat that can’t be beat.
Your Gut Matters
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. That makes kefir a great wellbeing tool because it contains 12 live and probiotic cultures. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.Servings: 5-6 servings
- 1 ½ cup Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- ½ lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 vanilla pod or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 baguette
- 1 cup white flour
- 2-5 eggs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup sugar
- Heat kefir, lemon, cinnamon stick, and vanilla seed in a small saucepan on low heat. Simmer for 5 minutes, don’t boil.
- Cut baguette in inch thick slices and place in a baking dish.
- Remove lemon and cinnamon stick and pour over slices of bread. Soak both sides in bread.
- Heat olive oil in pan on medium/high heat. Make sure the whole bottom of the pan is covered in oil.
- Mix the eggs in one bowl and the flour in another. Dip bread in flour first and then in the eggs.
- Place the dipped bread in the hot pan and fry for about 1-2 minutes on each side until golden brown.
- Mix together cinnamon and sugar in bowl.
- Dip into cinnamon sugar mix, serve.