Our farmer cheese takes pumpkin season up a notch. Try this next level fall toast combination: roasted pumpkin, pepitas, and green onion over farmer cheese. Let’s give all the other toasts pumpkin to talk about.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular.
Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive system.
How to Eat More Prebiotics:
To optimize the environment for probiotics, it’s recommended to consume an accompanying prebiotic. Synbiotics are foods or supplements that contain both prebiotics and probiotics. Don’t let the name intimidate you, it’s very simple. If you’re making kefir smoothies (a source of probiotics) or pouring it over granola and fruit (source of probiotics), you’re eating a synbiotic meal.
Foods that contain prebiotics include fruits, vegetables, legumes, and whole grains. Simply pair them with probiotic-rich foods like kimchi, miso, tempeh, or kefir.
- ⅓ cup (smash with fork) Farmer Cheese
- 1 Whole Wheat Baguette - cut into 32 slices about ¼ inch thick
- ½ Roasted Pumpkin Cubes
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- fresh thyme
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a large baking sheet spread out pumpkin cubes and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Toss and roast until tender for about 30 to 35 minutes, and let cool.
- Spread farmer cheese on each crostini and spoon some pumpkin cubes on top. Arrange the crostini on a serving platter and decorate with a thyme leave.
- Just before serving garnish with extra thyme and green onion.
- Optional garnish: green onion, pine nuts, balsamic drizzle