Fill your plate with holiday cheer when you whip up a plate of these Reindeer Nut Butter Toasts. This recipe boasts a sweet and savory combination of flavors united by Lifeway Farmer Cheese. Loaded with probiotics to support gut health, this mild, nutritious cheese elevates just about any dish. Here, the smooth taste and texture of the cheese complement a spread of creamy nut butter, tart berries, and crunchy pretzels, making a festive lunchtime treat that’s sure to bring a smile to your face.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune and digestive systems.Prep Time: 15 mins Servings: 2-4
- 2-3 slices whole grain bread
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1 cup nut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp chocolate sauce
- ProBugs or 3.5 oz kefir on the side
- In a food processor, blend together Farmer cheese, your favorite nut butter, and vanilla extract. Blend together until smooth.
- Toast bread. Layer on the Farmer Cheese/nut butter mix into an oblong shape on the toast. Cut out an oval of two different bread slices.
- Layer that on top of the oblong shape, toward the bottom of the toast.
- Put two blueberries on the farmer cheese mixture, to look like eyes, right above the oval shaped bread.
- Add a raspberry on the oval shape bread in the middle. Draw a half moon with the chocolate sauce for the shape of a mouth below the raspberry.
- Add two pretzels to look like ears on top of the oblong shape.
- Serve with ProBugs or 3.5oz Kefir. Enjoy!