This vibrant and simple recipe is a spin on a classic tapa in Spain known as pan con tomate. With the delightful combination of roasted tomatoes, spicy paprika farmer cheese, and a cilantro pesto, every bite of our Spanish-inspired tomato toast will transport you to the sunny streets of Barcelona.
History of Tomatoes
Tomatoes are one of the world’s most consumed fruits and can be used for a variety of different dishes. Originally grown by the Aztecs in Mexico, they became popular in the America’s during the 19th century. This humble fruit is not only sweet and tart, but nutrient-dense and packed with a variety of minerals and vitamins that provide numerous health benefits for all different lifestyles.
Excellent Source of Vitamin C
Vitamin c is particularly important for skin health. It helps collagen production in our bodies to maintain skin integrity. Here’s a little health hack for you: it’s best to consume tomatoes with a source of healthy fats so that your body can absorb the most vitamins. Trying pairing tomatoes with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, avocado, or even paired in a dip made with our full-fat kefir!
High in Lycopene, a Natural Antioxidant
Lycopene is a natural antioxidant that helps fight free radicals that can cause damage to cells in our bodies. Studies have shown that regular consumption of foods rich in lycopene can help lower the risk for both cardiovascular disease and certain cancers.Servings: 4
- 4 vine tomatoes
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- 5 shishito peppers roasted
- 1 garlic clove
- large handful of cilantro
- olive oil
- sea salt
- toasted Italian bread
- Roast sliced tomatoes tossed in olive oil and salt in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 350 degrees. Let cool once they start to golden.
- While the oven is still hot, roast shishito peppers tossed in olive oil in the oven till they start to lightly brown and soften.
- In a food processor, blend garlic, olive oil, cilantro, salt, and shishito peppers together. Once blended set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix farmer cheese with hot paprika and salt.
- Once everything is ready, spread the farmer cheese blend over toasted bread and top with roasted tomatoes and the cilantro pesto. Sprinkle extra salt on top and serve.