When it doubt, just add in a handful of greens for a nutrition boost. Yo make an easy lunch that’s quick and healthy, spread a layer of creamy farmer cheese and fresh pesto over whole-wheat pita bread with a stack of vegetables on top. Our high-protein farmer cheese makes this tasty flatbread a more flavorful way to get in those extra veggies!
Probiotics can help balance the microbiome by replenishing the good bacteria, which may lead to improved digestion and better immunity.
We’ve discussed before how our brain and gut communicate with each other. Scientists previously thought there was a one-way communication between the brain and the gut, but now realize that it’s a two-way line. Basically, your gut, which is comprised of millions of neurons called the enteric nervous system, is also talking back to your brain.
On top of alerting your immune system to foreign invaders, digesting and absorbing nutrients, your gut also produces serotonin. In fact, about 90% of the serotonin in your body is produced by the cells in your gut.
The gut plays an integral role in protecting you against pathogens and viruses. Just as your skin protects you against foreign invaders on the outside, your gut lining protects you on the inside.Servings: 2-3
- ¼ cup Farmer Cheese
- 4 whole-wheat pita breads
- 1 cup micro greens
- ½ cup fresh pesto
- ½ cup cooked garbanzo beans
- 1 small onion, cut into thin rings
- 10 kalamata olives, pitted and halved
- 4-5 artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 tsp hemp hearts
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- freshly ground black pepper
- fresh basil and mint leaves, to garnish
- Grill pita bread (or toast in even at 400F for 8 minutes).
- Spread the farmer cheese onto the pita breads and top each with a micro greens, chickpeas, onion, olives, artichoke hearts, hemp hearts, and pine nuts. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Garnish with basil and mint leaves, as desired.