A healthy diet is all about balance and moderation, which means there’s room for an indulgent treat from time to time. Our rich, moist Spiced Chocolate Root Beer Cupcakes are just the thing to satisfy our chocolate cravings when they hit, without steering us far of our healthy eating course.
- 3/4 cup room temperature* Lifeway Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg, at room temperature*
- 2 tsp root beer extract/flavoring
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line a cupcake pan with paper liners.
- Mix together flour, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together sugar, oil, egg, kefir and root beer extract until smooth, taking care to make sure the coconut oil doesn’t clump.
- Stir the flour mixture into the liquid bowl until just combined.
- Scoop batter into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 22-27 minutes, or until tops of cupcakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove and cool completely on wire rack.
- For an extra indulgence, top with whipped chocolate frosting and a tall glass of Lifeway
- Allowing the egg and kefir to come to room temperature ensures that the coconut oil does not clump, and they incorporate with other ingredients better. Just be sure not to leave either the eggs or the kefir on the counter for too long