We’re brewing a magical Sweet Potato Pie Potion for this evening’s All Hallow’s Eve festivities. It’s a potent formula made with an earthy turmeric ginger Vosges Haut-Chocolat bar to warm your soul in the cold, dark night. Other ingredients required include Medjool dates and cinnamon for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties; hemp hearts for plant-based protein; and sweet potato for its prebiotic fiber to fuel the 12 live and active probiotic cultures in our limited-edition pumpkin spice kefir. The nutrients in this enchanted elixir are sure to protect your guts and make you immune to scary spirits this Halloween.
A one-cup serving of sweet potato (cooked, with the skin on) contains:
- More than four times the RDA of vitamin A (in the form of beta-carotene) – vitamin A is crucial for eye health, as well as a strong immune system and healthy bone development.
- 35% of daily recommended amount vitamin C. Vitamin C not only supports immune health, it also helps the body make collagen, which is used throughout the body for tissue and ligament repair (and more!)
- About half of the RDA of manganese – manganese helps regulate blood sugar and supports the proper function of the thyroid (which can help keep your weight in check).
- A good dose of magnesium – magnesium supports heart and blood vessel health (as well as quite a few other things), but it also promotes relaxation and helps combat stress and anxiety.
- They’re also a good source of potassium, vitamin D, vitamin B6, and biotin. Add that to the four grams of heart-healthy fiber and nearly three grams of protein.
- 1/2 cup cooked sweet potato, tightly packed
- 1 cup Pumpkin Spice Lowfat Kefir
- 2 to 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 tsp dried ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts
- ice, as needed to thicken
- 2 cubes Turmeric Ginger Chocolate Bar
- Cut the sweet potato in cubes and boil until soft, drain and add to a blender.
- Add in pumpkin spice kefir, dates, ginger, turmeric, ground cinnamon, hemp hearts and a handful of ice in a blender, and blend until smooth
- Melt down the ginger turmeric chocolate by stove top. (Put a smaller pot half full of water on the stove top. In a bigger pot add the chocolate to it and place overtop the smaller pot full of water. Bring the water to a boil and stir consistently until the chocolate is melted.)
- Fill the bottom of your glass with chunky granola, top with layers of the sweet potato mixture, pumpkin spice kefir, and melted chocolate.
- Top with almond butter, chia seeds, and crushed pecans.