This recipe was developed by Chef Rocky Maselli for the James Beard Foundation’s Taste America®: “Local Flavor from Coast to Coast” Tour!
Farro, an ancient grain in the wheat family, lends a nutty flavor that perfectly complements sautéed mushrooms and our creamy kefir! Topped with salt, pepper and Farmer Cheese, it’s a dish that will impress anyone.
- 2 ½ cups Lifeway Organic Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 cup Lifeway Farmer Cheese
- 1 pound farro pasta
- 4 Tbsp olive oil + more for garnish
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 1 lb chanterelles, trimmed and thinly sliced (shitake or oyster mushroom can be substituted)
- 2 Tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente; drain, and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, warm olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add shallot and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shallot begins to soften, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are tender and begin to brown, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add kefir and thyme to skillet. Cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid reduces by half, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer mushroom mixture into pot with pasta. Season with salt and pepper. Add parsley and Farmer Cheese and serve.