Like yogurt and buttermilk, Lifeway Kefir is a miraculous meat and fish tenderizer and marinade for both baked and fried foods, especially with our Kefir Fish Tacos. Lifeway Kefir adds a creamy consistency, smooth and almost buttery texture, and a tantalizing tangy flavor while giving the breading something to stick to.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a unique trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health. Lifeway Farmer Cheese is also a great source of all these nutrients!
Prebiotics + Probiotics = a Healthy You
Prebiotics are non-living, non-digestible carbohydrates naturally found in a variety of foods. Your body actually can’t digest prebiotics, so they’re what probiotics feed off of to remain actively working in your digestive system. They help the digestive system by promoting the growth of good bacteria. Prebiotics and probiotics work together in balance to make sure our digestive system stays on track and regular. Research has found that consuming a variety of prebiotic and probiotic food sources may improve your body’s natural functions, including both your immune system and digestive system.
- 1 cup Lifeway Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1 pound tilapia filets
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (use gluten-free if needed)
- ½ cup corn meal
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ - ½ cup vegetable oil
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- Shredded red cabbage, to garnish
- Sliced jalapeno, to garnish
- Combine kefir and hot sauce in a shallow baking dish and add tilapia. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Add oil to a medium saucepan and heat to medium/medium high. Destem the cilantro and chop roughly, set aside. Mix the flour, corn meal, salt, and spices in a shallow, wide dish. In a second skillet, start warming tortillas on medium heat and transferring them to the oven on a sheet pan to stay warm while you cook the fish.
- Remove the fish from the kefir mixture and dredge in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour and place in pan until you have an even layer of fish. Cook for 4 minutes on each side and transfer to the sheet pan in the oven to stay warm until all the fish is cooked.
- To assemble tacos, layer fish, a drizzle of kefir, cilantro, cabbage, and jalapenos in tortillas and serve immediately.