Like yogurt and buttermilk, kefir is a great tenderizer and marinade for both baked and fried foods, especially with our Kefir Fish Tacos. It adds a creamy consistency and tangy flavor, while giving the breading something to stick to.
- 1 cup Lifeway Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1 pound tilapia filets
- 1 Tbsp hot sauce, plus more for garnish
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup corn meal
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp sumac
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ - ½ cup vegetable oil
- 12 small corn tortillas
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- Shredded red cabbage, to garnish
- Sliced jalapeno, to garnish
- Combine kefir and hot sauce in a shallow baking dish and add tilapia. Marinate for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 225°F. Add oil to a medium saucepan and heat to medium/medium high. Destem the cilantro and chop roughly, set aside. Mix the flour, corn meal, salt, and spices in a shallow, wide dish. In a second skillet, start warming tortillas on medium heat and transferring them to the oven on a sheet pan to stay warm while you cook the fish.
- Remove the fish from the kefir mixture and dredge in the flour mixture. Shake off any excess flour and place in pan until you have an even layer of fish. Cook for 4 minutes on each side and transfer to the sheet pan in the oven to stay warm until all the fish is cooked.
- To assemble tacos, layer fish, a drizzle of kefir, cilantro, cabbage, and jalapenos in tortillas and serve immediately.