Quickly whip up these easy kefir waffles the night before for a flawless morning meal.
- 2 ½ cups Lifeway Organic Organic Plain Whole Milk Kefir
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour*
- ½ cup whole wheat flour*
- ½ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 3 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Generous pinch of salt
- Non-stick cooking spray, as needed
- Fresh berries, maple syrup, butter or peanut butter, to serve
- The night before: Add the flour, oats and flaxseed to the pitcher of a high-powered blender. Pulse 3-4 times until just combined.
- Add 2 cups of Lifeway Organic Whole Milk Plain Kefir, maple syrup or honey, vanilla extract and coconut oil. Blend on high until smooth, adding more kefir if needed to reach the desired consistency (you don’t want it to be thick, but you also don’t want it runny).
- Cover the pitcher and place it in the fridge to allow the ingredients to soak overnight.
- In the morning: mix together the baking soda, baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Add the above dry mixture, an egg, and another ½ cup of kefir to the batter.
- Turn the blender on high and blend for 45-60 seconds, pausing to scrape down the sides if needed, and adding additional kefir or flour (if necessary) to reach the right consistency (slightly runnier than pancake batter).
- Turn on your waffle maker and pre-heat it. Spray with non-stick cooking spray before pouring batter and cooking according to the waffle iron’s directions. The amount of batter and time will vary by waffle iron – the bigger the iron, the more batter needed.
- Continue cooking, spraying the iron between waffles, until all the batter is used. Serve hot with maple syrup, fresh berries, peanut butter or butter! Store leftovers in the freezer and reheat in a 350°F oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Feel free to experiment with using only whole-wheat or all-purpose flour, or your favorite gluten-free blend.