For day 4 of Thanksgiving Recipe Week, we prepared a Matcha Panna Cotta with our brand new whole milk coconut honey kefir for yummy flavor and 12 live and active probiotic cultures to help support immunity and a balanced gut microbiome. You can find coconut honey (and a bunch of other delicious flavors) at Whole Foods. Stock up now so you’re ready to create the ultimate gut-healthy Thanksgiving feast! Panna Cotta translates to “cooked cream” in English and is an Italian custard made with heavy cream and gelatin. Flan is a similar custard pudding, but it’s made with eggs. This may not be a traditional Thanksgiving dessert, but since this holiday season is far from typical, why not update the menu with a few fun recipes? Bonus points that it’s delicious and good for your gut.
Your Gut Matters
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. That makes kefir a great wellbeing tool because it contains 12 live and probiotic cultures. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.
- 6 tbsp maple syrup
- 4 tsp unflavored gelatin
- 6 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp unrefined salt
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Coconut Honey Whole Milk Kefir
- 2 tbsp to 3 tbsp matcha green tea powder
- In a small saucepan, whisk maple syrup and gelatin until smooth. Stir in the water and let sit for 5 minutes. Whisk in the salt.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. The mixture may bubble up as it comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Whisk in the cream and vanilla. Set aside
- Sift matcha into a small bowl. Gently warm kefir to about 160ºF. Pour over the sifted matcha and whisk vigorously with a bamboo whisk until completely smooth.
- Whisk matcha-kefir mixture into the cream-gelatin mixture. If you like a very smooth panna cotta, strain the whole mixture through a fine-mesh sieve.
- Pour into individual serving containers. Cover and refrigerate until completely set, about 4 hours. Top with fresh raspberries and a sprinkle of matcha powder. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Will keep, refrigerated, for about 4-5 days.
- Kefir flavor options to use instead of Coconut Honey Kefir (if you don't have): Madagascar Vanilla, Matcha, and Plain.