A terrific twist on a summertime staple, this light and fluffy Nectarine Upside-Down Cake uses our versatile kefir instead of buttermilk for an extra punch of protein.
- 1 cup Lifeway Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely ground almond flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¾ cups unsweetened apple sauce
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 4-8 nectarines, sliced into thin wedges
- 10-12 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup filtered water + more for soaking
- Chopped or slivered nuts, for garnish (optional)
- To make the date syrup: About one hour before you’re ready to start cooking, place the dates in a small bowl and cover with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes to soften.
- After 30 minutes, drain the water and add dates and ¾ cup filtered water to a blender. Blend until smooth, adding more water if necessary to reach a smooth, syrup-like consistency. Set aside.
- To make the cake: Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a 10-inch spring form pan with butter or non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl and whisk well. In a separate bowl, combine Lifeway Low Fat Plain Kefir, applesauce, butter and eggs. Gently mix together the wet and dry ingredients, stir until just combined. Set aside.
- Pour ½ cup of the date syrup into the bottom of the spring form pan and arrange nectarine slices on top. Pour the batter on top of the sliced nectarines and place in the oven to bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake and turn upside down onto a serving plate. Garnish with remaining date syrup and optional nuts. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- We made our own date syrup, but you should be able to find some at your local grocer.
- You can try substituting 2 cups of white flour instead of almond flour, however you may need to bake for a bit longer and we have not tested this.
- For a sweeter cake, use sugar in place of the unsweetened applesauce.
- If you cannot find nectarines, use your favorite seasonal fruit, such as peaches, blueberries, apples, pineapple, or bananas.