As a token of our appreciation, we’re gifting you the recipe for Pecan Apple Chickpea Salad Wraps. The recipe features delightful Fall flavors wrapped tightly in a tortilla. In a bowl, pile up a salad of green onions, parsley, celery, cherries, pecans, honey crisp apples, and chickpeas. Douse the salad ingredients with a homemade dressing made of apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, pure maple syrup, tahini, garlic powder, plain kefir, and a sprinkling of salt and pepper to taste. Give the salad a good stir and let sit, then lay the tortilla of your choice flat and layer on farmer cheese, shredded carrots, spinach, and prepped salad. Fold the tortilla and you have the perfect wrap in your hands. Pecans have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, and apples and chickpeas provide prebiotic fiber to fuel the live and active probiotics in our plain kefir and farmer cheese, which means this wrap is excellent for your gut health. Pack a few to enjoy while you’re out doing all the Fall festivities – apple picking, hayrides, and corn mazes, oh my!
Your Gut Matters
Eating habits also play a role in mental health. Research has shown that probiotic-rich foods decrease anxiety and boost the mood. That makes kefir a great wellbeing tool because it contains 12 live and probiotic cultures. Psychiatrist James Greenblatt explained that “‘the gut is really your second brain. There are more neurons in the GI tract than anywhere else except the brain.’” As research continues to develop, it’s becoming more and more apparent that there is a link between the gut and the brain. What was once suspected as one-way communication (brain to gut) is now understood to be more of a two-way system. Thus, the health of our gut may directly impact the health of our minds.
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup small-diced organic Honeycrisp apples
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 stalk of celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup chopped green onions
- 4 tbsp Plain Lowfat Kefir
- 3 tbsp tahini
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt, plus more to taste
- lots of freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp warm water, to thin dressing
- 3 large tortillas of choice
- 3-4 cups organic spinach
- ¾ cup shredded carrots or slaw
- ¼ cup Farmer Cheese
- In a bowl place all your ingredients for your salad and set aside as you mix your dressing ingredients in another bowl. Toss the salad mix with the dressing.
- Lay out your wrap and fill it with farmer cheese, slaw, spinach and your dressed salad mix. Enjoy!