Today we’re switching things up with Reverse Avocado Toast. It’s a delicious snack that’s fun to eat and so good for your guts. The avocado skin acts like a cute little bowl that you can eat out of. To recreate this gut-healthy meal, fill a halved avocado with farmer cheese and garnish with thinly sliced radishes, toasted sourdough croutons, and your herb of choice. Avocados have more potassium than a banana and are packed with fiber, healthy fats, and B vitamins. Unfamiliar with farmer cheese? It’s a mild Eastern European style soft cheese that’s similar to ricotta in texture. Farmer cheese has 13 grams of protein per serving and 12 live and active probiotic cultures that may balance the gut microbiome and support healthy immunity. If eating an avocado like this is wrong, then we don’t ever want to be ripe.
The Good Kind of Fats
Half an avocado has around 115 calories and 6.7 grams of heart-healthy monounsaturated fat, which are crucial for brain development, linked to lower blood pressure, and may reduce risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Vitamin C (6mg) – which supports immunity and tissue growth/repair
- Folate (60mg) – necessary for brain, nervous system and cardiovascular functions
- Vitamin K (14 mg) – essential for strong bones and blood clotting
- Vitamin E (1.3 mg) – an antioxidant that protects against free radical tissue damage (free radicals from cigarette smoke, air pollution, and ultraviolet light from the sun).
- Potassium (345 mg) – avocados contain more potassium than bananas. Potassium is linked to healthy blood pressure levels, bone health, and supports digestion.
- Fiber – half an avocado contains almost five grams of dietary fiber. This fiber not only helps you feel fuller longer (meaning less snacking throughout the day), but it also supports and helps regulate digestion. A win-win!
- Lutein and zeaxanthin – may help maintain healthy eye-sight.
- 1 avocado, cut in half
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1 tbsp chopped dill
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp chopped chives
- 1-2 radishes, thinly sliced
- sourdough bread, cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper for taste
- Toss cubed sourdough bread with olive oil, salt, and pepper and place in the oven to bake till golden and crispy.
- Cut avocado in half. remove pit. Fill the center with farmer cheese and top with dill, chives, chili flakes, radish, and sourdough cubes. Add salt & pepper to taste! Enjoy!