Our foodie muse for this Smoothie Saturday is Nik Sharma from @abrowntable! He created a delicious and creamy pistachio milk recipe based on the cooling Indian drink, Thandai, which inspired us to try a version with kefir. Think golden milk meets pistachio gelato. Sounds good, right? Check out the recipe by scrolling down.
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
- 5/8 cup (140g) raw unsalted shelled pistachios, soaked
- 1 cup Vanilla Whole Milk Kefir
- 1/4 tsp ground green cardamom
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Soften shelled pistachios for 30mins in boiling water
- Drain pistachios and set aside to cool. Run under cold water to make the cooling process faster.
- Put the pistachios, kefir, spices, and maple syrup in a blender and blitz smooth and with no chunks of pistachios. Taste and adjust the sweetness as required. Enjoy on its own or over ice.