This Toast Tuesday recipe is unbeetable! Head over to your local farmers market and pick up fresh arugula, beets, honey, and bread because you are going to want to make this toast! The secret ingredient? Our farmer cheese, a mild Eastern European soft cheese that has a texture similar to ricotta. It’s loaded with 13 grams of protein per serving and 12 probiotic cultures, which makes every bite meaningful!
Cultured Dairy: The Nutrition Benefits You Actually Need to Know
With increasing research linking the correlation between probiotics, gut health, and immunity, it’s no secret that the integrity of our gut is vital to our health. Although additional factors such as stress, antibiotic usage, and individual health conditions can contribute to the condition of our gut, a focus on healthy food choices is one of the easiest ways to support the microbiome.
Several studies have shown a strong association between the gut-brain-microbiota. Probiotics introduced to the gut have been found to support immunity, improve allergies, and improve digestion.
Studies have shown that reduced diversity of healthy gut bacteria during early years is associated with an increase in food allergies during school-age years. In addition, kefir made from whole fat milk helps absorb key nutrients such as Vitamins A, D, E, and K. Vitamin K is important because it helps your bones absorb calcium. It’s important to know that kefir contains a special trio: vitamin D, K, and calcium – all three crucial elements to support bone health.
- 1 red beet
- 1 bunch of arugula or spring mix
- 1/2 cup Farmer Cheese
- 1/4 Balsamic Vinegar
- 2-4 rye bread
- salt and pepper to taste
- topping: honey and walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Wrap the red beet in aluminum foil and place it on a baking sheet.
- Roast until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife, 40 to 60 minutes. While the beets are still hot, rub them with a paper towel to peel away the skin. The golden beets will finish cooking before the red beet
- Cut the red beet into large dice, let cool and then transfer to a blender. Add the balsamic vinegar and 2 tbsp of the oil; process until smooth.
- In a skillet, add arugula, olive oil, salt and pepper and cook until wilted.
- Toast Rye bread.
- Top toast with farmer cheese, blended beets, arugula, and honey and chopped walnuts.